Here are few tips for cooking with leeks:
- Buy leeks that are firm with dark green tops and little to no bruises or blemishes.
- Buy only as many leeks as you need because leeks will only keep in the refrigerator for a few days.
- Leeks have alot of embedded dirt between the leaves, so washing them properly is important. The easiest way to clean them is to slice the leek in half length down the center. Rinse in between the leaves under cold water to remove all of the dirt.
Wash and slice the white and pale green portion of the leek.
Saute leeks in olive until tender.
Add potatoes and chicken both, cook until potatoes are tender, the puree.
Garnish with green onions.
Potato Leek Soup Recipe
Makes 9 cups
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 leeks (about 1 pound), washed and sliced, white and green portion only
3 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
5 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups 2% milk
salt & pepper to taste
green onions, chopped (optional for garnish)
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Saute leeks for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until leeks are soft.
3. Add potatoes and chicken broth to pot. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and add milk.
5. Using a blender or immersion blender, puree soup to desired consistency. If the soup is too thick, add a bit more chicken broth or milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Garnish with green onions and serve.