facebook

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Biscuits


I love bread especially hot buttered bread (my mouth is watering just thinking about it).  My love affair with bread, or more specifically biscuits, began when I was a child.  I remember awaking up daily to the smell of fresh baked biscuits during the many summers I spent with my grandparents in Mississippi. For me biscuit are not just fluffy deliciousness but a connection to my childhood and to a person who has had a profound impact on the woman that I am today, my grandmother, the late Mrs. Ammie D. Hill.  I remember as a child watching her make biscuits from scratch without a recipe. She knew the exact amount of flour, shortening and milk to add to make exactly the number of biscuits she wanted, whether it be 3 biscuits or 20.  This is a skill I wish to acquire, but for now I need a recipe.

Small Batch Buttermilk Biscuits

Makes 6 biscuits
WW points+ 3 points per biscuit

Ingredients

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 tablespoon cold butter
  • 1/2 tablespoon shortening
  • 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk, chilled

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a medium mixing bowl. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. 
  3. Pour in the chilled buttermilk. Using your fingertips stir mixture just until the dough comes together. The dough will be sticky. Do not over mix the dough once you add the milk.
  4. Place dough onto a floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself and using a rolling pin gently roll dough into1-inch thickness. Do not knead the dough.
  5. Cut out biscuits with biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass, you should be able to cut 4 biscuits using a 2-inch cutter. Place biscuits on baking sheet where they are almost touching. Gently re-roll the scrap dough and cut 2 more biscuits.
  6. Bake until biscuits are golden brown, 12-15 minutes.

2 comments :

  1. I have very similar memories with my own grandmother (Zelma, they sure knew how to name them back then huh?). I have always wished that instead of just watching her, I participated and got her recipe. I'm going to have to give this one a try. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fortunate to get alot of my grandmother's recipes but the food never comes out the way she made it. My biscuits aren't as light and fluffy as hers but I am going to keep practicing.

      Delete