facebook

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Ground Chicken Sliders

Up until two months ago ground turkey was my main substitute for ground beef,  that was until I discovered ground chicken.  I don’t think I will ever buy ground turkey again! I started cooking with ground turkey because it is healthier than ground beef.  However, ground turkey was an acquired taste for me because of its texture, it’s clumpy unlike ground chicken which crumbles better and has a texture similar to ground beef.  I know crumble and clumpy aren’t sophisticated culinary terms to describe ground meat but those are the only words I could think of.  My experience with ground chicken has been totally different.  The first time I tried ground chicken I thought it was ground beef.  I loved it and I have been cooking with it ever since. 
 

 
Here’s a recipe for ground chicken sliders, each slider is only 77 calories. For the recipe I used Perdue’s ground chicken not the ground chicken breast.  The ground chicken breast meat is leaner and lower in calories but I find that it’s a not as moist as the ground chicken that contains dark meat.


Ground Chicken Sliders Recipe
Servings: 7 (1 slider)
Nutrition info per serving  (for ground chicken only):
Calories:  77  Carbs: 6g  Protein: 12g   Fat: 4g

Ingredients
¼ cup chopped onions
¼ cup chopped green peppers
1 lb ground chicken containing dark meat
Seasonings to taste (I like using garlic powder, salt and pepper)
Slider rolls

Directions
In a bowl combine chopped onions, green pepper and ground chicken.  Add salt, pepper and any other seasonings you prefer to taste.  Mix well and make 7 equal patties (roughly 2.4oz each).

Spray skillet with cooking spray and pre-heat to medium heat. Cook sliders until done or internal temperature reaches 165
Serve on slider roll topped with your favorite burger topping.

11 comments :